Members: $313.50 | Non-members: $627
Continuing Education: 5.0 CE hours
Duration: Six courses approximately one hour each
Speakers: Amy Stewart, RN, RAC-MT, DNS-CT, QCP-MT, and Judi Kulus, MSN, MAT, RN, NHA, DNS-CT, RAC-MT
Building a Strong Foundation for the New DNS
Serving as a DNS in a post-acute care nursing facility is both rewarding and extremely challenging. If you are a brand new DNS, new to post-acute care, or a newly licensed registered nurse wanting to move into a DNS role, then the DNS Fundamentals virtual workshop will help you succeed! In this fast-paced, six-hour workshop, you’ll gain the foundational knowledge that you didn’t get in nursing school. This education program was originally developed by AADNS (American Association of Directors of Nursing Services), now part of AAPACN.
The DNS Fundamentals course is a fast-paced, six-hour course that will help you prepare to excel as a DNS. Save years of learning by experience and gain what you need to know now!
- Gain a foundational understanding of the role of the DNS as required by federal regulations
- Review the basics of Medicare and Medicaid Federal Regulations including what the regulations are, how to prepare for a survey, how the survey process works before, during, and after the surveyors are in the facility
- Discuss the broad elements of LTC Quality oversight in the nursing department, including the federal quality reporting systems and requirements such as Quality Measures, Value Based Purchasing, Quality Reporting Program, and the Five-Star rating system
- Examine the basics of Business Operations in the nursing department, including strategic planning, budgeting, and CMS payment systems
- Review the key principles of Clinical Systems Management such as managing adverse outcomes, implementing evidence-based care, and handling investigations of abuse and other incidents
- Analyze the challenges of staffing the nursing department and review the key components of human resource management
Program Curriculum and Format
DNS Fundamentals is offered as a recorded virtual workshop. The six-session recorded virtual workshop can be purchased as a bundle or as individual recorded virtual workshop sessions. Note that there is no exam or certification associated with this program. It is intended to provide knowledge needed to perform DNS job duties skillfully and with confidence.
- Understand the Role of the DNS
- Overview of Federal Regulations
- Managing Quality in the Nursing Department
- Overview of Business Operations in the Nursing Department
- Clinical Systems Management
- Basic Staffing and Human Resource Management
Courses may be purchased individually by clicking the links above, or save by purchasing as a bundling by clicking on the “Purchase” button at the top of the page.