Ten-Course Bundle – Members: $323 | Non-members: $646
Individual Courses – Members: $34 | Non-members: $68
Continuing Education: 7.0 CE hours for all ten courses
Duration: Ten courses, between 30 and 60 minutes each
Speaker: Jennifer LaBay, RN, RAC-MT, RAC-MTA, CRC
An Introduction to Medicare Reimbursements
Every member of the interdisciplinary team (IDT) needs to understand the basics of Medicare Part A to ensure compliance with requirements. Failure to comply results in penalty to the facility, which may impact reimbursement or the ability to participate in the Medicare program. This comprehensive workshop provides step by step training for new staff to gain a foundational understanding of Medicare to prevent inadvertent noncompliance.
Medicare Fundamentals, a ten-part on-demand workshop, is designed to provide the new nurse assessment coordinator (NAC) or IDT member with a strong foundation of knowledge of the basics of Medicare coverage in the skilled nursing facility (SNF). AAPACN nurse expert, Jennifer LaBay, will guide you through understanding the Medicare benefit period, the key technical and skilled care requirements of Medicare Part A coverage, consolidated billing practices, and the requirements of beneficiary notices to ensure compliance and avoid potential penalty. You will gain an understanding of the medical review process, including responding to medical reviews and appeals.
Following this workshop, you will be able to:
- Understand the technical requirements of Medicare Part A coverage in the SNF, including the qualifying hospital stay, 30-day transfer rule, benefit period, and the physician certification and recertification process
- Recognize the clinical requirements of Medicare Part A coverage in the SNF including direct skilled nursing, indirect skilled nursing, direct skilled rehabilitation, and the administrative presumption of coverage
- Explain the documentation requirements of Medicare Part A services
- Understand the implications of noncompliance with Medicare regulations and how to avoid noncompliance
- Apply the basics of consolidated billing
- Identify the key components of Medicare meetings
- Recognize the required beneficiary notices for Medicare Part A and when and how to fill out the notices and administer them
- Describe the medical review process, including types of review, possible outcomes, and the appeals process
Program Curriculum and Format
This on-demand workshop includes ten parts covering the following curriculum:
Part 3: Benefit Period – 0.5 CE
Part 5: Skilled Nursing Requirements – 0.5 CE
Part 6: Skilled Rehabilitation – 0.75 CE
Part 7: Skilled Medicare Documentation – 0.75 CE
Part 10: Medical Review and Appeals – 0.5 CE
Jennifer LaBay has no conflicts of interest to disclose.
There is no exam or certification associated with this program. It is intended to provide knowledge needed to perform NAC and IDT Medicare-related job duties skillfully and with confidence. Courses may be purchased individually or save 5% by purchasing as a bundle.